voor de Nederlandse versie van deze webpagina, klik hier.
Can you explain your research to the general public?
On Saturday, March 14th 2020, the Paleobiological Cirlce (de Paleobiologische Kring van Nederland en Vlaanderen) organizes the PaleoTime-NL Outreach Poster Award 2020, in collaboration with the Oertijdmuseum in Boxtel. Below you can find more info on this poster contest.
We invite bachelor, master en PhD students studying natural sciences (e.g. Earth Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, etc) and citizen-scientists active in the paleontology and geology, to participate in this contest, with a poster on there own research. The contest is meant for all types of paleontological and geological research (local to global, Precambrian to Holocene).
The purpose of this poster contest is to 1) to make the general public enthusiastic about paleontological and geological research performed in the Netherlands and Belgium, and 2) offer young students/scientists/citizen-scientists the possibility to gain experience with public outreach.
Participants have a chance at winning the following prices:
- 1e prize: 250 euro
- 2e prize: 100 euro
- 3e prize: 50 euro
*We thank the Oertijdmuseum in Boxtel for providing the prize money.
The visitors at PaleoTime-NL 2020 will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite poster. The poster that receives most votes wins the Audience Prize, a surprise by the organization.
The makers of the winning posters (both jury prizes and Audience Prize) will be offered the opportunity to have their poster exhibited for six months at the Oertijdmuseum in Boxtel, to promote paleontology. The winner of the Audience Prize is offered the opportunity to give a lecture at Paleotime-NL, the largest paleontological event of the Netherlands.
The posters are judged on scientific content, comprehensibility by the general public, and originality, creativity and layout. The jury takes into account the candidate’s academic experience.
Participants are allowed to use an English poster, for example a poster that has previously been used for a scientific conference. However, the jury will take into account the comprehensibility by the general Dutch public. That is why Dutch is the preferred language.
Guidelines for the poster:
- Poster size: maximum A0, with a preference for portrait.
- Subjects are either paleontological/paleobiological, or geological with a clear link to paleontology.
- The preferred language is Dutch. This is not a prerequisite, but will be taken into account, in terms of comprehensibility for the general Dutch public.
- For each poster, we recommend the following components:
- Name/names of the authors(+ affiliations)
- Introduction: Why was the research performed? What is the main research question?
- A short description: How was the research performed?
- A discussion on the most important results.
- A conclusion/take home message.
- Poster candidates have to register for the PaleoTime Outreach Poster Award 2020 through this form. A title is mandatory, a Dutch abstract not. We nevertheless do recommend participants to send in a short abstract.
- Deadline for registration is Sunday, 23rd of February, 2020, 23.59h.
- Date PaleoTime-NL 2020: Saturday, 14th of March 2020, 10.30h – 16.30h.
- Address: Gebouw 20.2, Bouw & Infra Park, Ceintuurbaan 2, Harderwijk (Netherlands), for more information about the PaleoTime-NL event, see www.paleotime.nl
- The poster candidates are requested to register at the stand of the Paleobiologische Kring van Nederland en Vlaanderen, upon arrival at the event.
- The poster candidates are requested to hang their posters before 11.00h, at the designated place.
- The poster candidates are requested to be present at their poster between 12.00h and 13.00h, for the jury assessment.
- De winners of the jury prizes and the Audience Prize will be announced at 15.45h,e in the lecture hall, preceding the last lecture of the day.